Thursday, September 07, 2006

NME Ace Case



See, I love all types of music. While I am very much enjoying the early 90's stuff that is a good percentage of the tapes left in the Oxfam bin, there are always lots of other good things. This last week I also picked up some other good early jazz/rocknroll stuff and a great tape from Ivo Papasov & his Wedding Band which I may post in the future. Apparently this tape was released by NME and it's impossible to find for purchase. I particularly love the tracks Oh! Oh! Get Out the Car (by Richard Berry who also wrote "Louie Louie") and Good Rockin Daddy (by Etta James who also did "At Last"). And the Tina and Ike track is quite good. Enjoy.

Side 1

1. Etta James -
Good Rockin' Daddy
2. Charles Brown & Amos Milburn -
Educated Fool
3. Young Jessie - Hit Git & Spit
4. Bobby Marchan -
Quit My Job
5. Huey 'Piano' Smith & The Clowns -
Don't You Just Know It
6. Arthur Alexander -
Anna
7. Irma Thomas -
Time Is On My Side
8. Benny Spellman -
Fortune Teller
9. Richard Derry -
Oh! Oh! Get Out The Car
10. The Chanters -
She Wants To Mambo
11. Alvin 'Snake Eyes' Tyler -
The Peanut Vendor

Side 2

1. Ike & Tina Turner -I Can't Belive What You Say
2. Shirley Ellis -
The Nitty Gritty
3. The Olympics -
(Baby) Hully Gully
4. Mary Love -
You Turned My Bitter Into Sweet
5. Bobby 'Blue' Band -
Call On Me
6. B.B. King -
Ain't Nobody's Business
7. Johnny 'Guitar' Watson -
She Moves Me
8. Little Richard -
Directly From My Heart
9. The Jive Five -
Rain
10. The O'Jays - Lipstick Traces (On A Cigarette)
11. The Impressions -
Keep On Pushing

All the kids who are loving a little speed disco check out this New York remake of a classic. All over yo face!! Like . . . what is on my face?

Cazwell - All Over Your Face (extended disco vocal mix)

37 comments:

Anonymous said...

excellent stuff!
most of those nme tapes were classics – this one is no exception
thanks for sharing

k

Unknown said...

Very kind words Todd, thank you very much!

Those Parisians arrive at 9 30, but it's going to be rammed way before then!

Hope to see you there,

Cas

Anonymous said...

Excellent post. Please post the Ivo Papasov!

Tom said...

Nice one (one NME tape I don't have) and shamelss plug time along the lines if nme tape posts. I have posted C81 and C86 via my blog at www.indie-mp3.co.uk - look under special posts. I keep meaning to post Jive Wire, Pogo A Gogo and We have Come For Children. I will get round to it eventually.

By the way I also shop in Dalston Oxfam. Picked up some good indie 7"'s there over the years.

Anonymous said...

thank you, love it.

Anonymous said...

Fantastic stuff. I've always enjoyed the NME records and cassettes. Miss them now I'm over here in Canada.
This was a very cool post. Thank you very much for it.

Anonymous said...

Oooh, I used to have this cassette and I'm so chuffed you posted it. I've been looking for the Little Richard track ever since. You've made my day Mr/Ms Dalston Oxfam Shop!

Anonymous said...

Very good - I have this tape and a friend has kinly converted the Smile Jamaica one for me. Ahh Happy Days.

Cheers sir - made an oldish man happy

Anonymous said...

Great to see this..Came to it late so side two is missing. Any chance of a revival?
Thanks.

Anonymous said...

rjouiv YO MAN ITS YA MAIN MAN INI....... TYPICALLY TODD! I WOULD NOT EXPECT ANYTHING LESS FROM THE RARE GROOVE BEAST. THOSE TAPES ARE AWESOME T BONE REALLY FUCKING AWESOME... INI

Anonymous said...

Yes! Thanks for making this available again, a classic! Please put side 2 back up - and turn my bitter into sweet.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the return of side 2.Great stuff!

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry to bother you, but I was wondering if you could re-upload the Cazwell mix. I can't seem to find any copy's of that song anywhere, thank you!

dalston shopper said...

As you wish, Harrison. Cazwell back up.

Anonymous said...

Love your blog!

Just wanted to mention that there may be a typo on the original NME label. I think track 5 on side 2 is probably by Bobby "Blue" Bland. (See http://allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=10:fcfuxqrjldke)

Thanks for the great post!

Oisin Lunny said...

Fantastic - thank you!!!!

Had this first time around - not had it since - brilliant :)

Anonymous said...

Thank you for Irma Thomas time is on my side a truely great version



Rhod

Anonymous said...

I've got a collection of those old NME cassettes and have started digitizing them. I'll upload them and make them available as they are completed.
The first one is "Low Lights and Trick Mirrors" and its available here:
http://www.divshare.com/download/7774766-207

dalston shopper said...

great!! Thanks anonymous. You might contact this guy to link you then.

http://www.hardcafe.co.uk/NMECassettes/

Anonymous said...

Hi,
I've sent link to http://www.hardcafe.co.uk/NMECassettes/ but will post links here as well until they start to appear on the other site.

Just finished the next one - It's the John Peel sessions one - Mixed Peel.

Link: http://www.divshare.com/download/7786032-cfe

Nicky

Anonymous said...

Another one uploaded. Its the Jazz one - Straight No Chaser and its here:

http://www.divshare.com/download/7800044-e45

Nicky

dalston shopper said...

fantastic anonymous!! I've also just bought some on ebay so soon we should have a high percentage of them up.

dalston shopper said...

the one I REALLY want to hear is All Africa Radio.

Anonymous said...

Got All Africa Radio nearly done, so I'll do that one next. It should be with you by end of Week.

Nicky

Anonymous said...

All Africa Radio link:
http://www.divshare.com/download/7819301-00c

Hope you enjoy it.

Probably do "We have come for your Children" next.

Nicky

dalston shopper said...

Nicky is a STAR!!!

Anonymous said...

We Have Come for Your Children link:

http://www.divshare.com/download/7826941-efa

Nicky

dalston shopper said...

Nicky these are amazing - can you e-mail me on the e-mail address at the top of the blog cause I want to ask you about some stuff on these recordings.

Todd

Anonymous said...

C86 available now:

http://www.divshare.com/download/7844113-050

Nicky

Anonymous said...

TapeWorm cassette now available:

http://www.divshare.com/download/7854684-c5e

Anonymous said...

What's Happening Stateside :

http://www.divshare.com/download/7870932-2a1

Nicky

dalston shopper said...

FYI Nicky I've got the Peel Sessions on vinyl. I think it's probably slightly better quality :)

LL said...

oh i just love this, thank you!

Anonymous said...

Wonderful. I have the tape but haven't had a tape deck for years. I'd forgotten how great that compilation is. Many, many thanks. Will also check out the various blogs mentioned in the comments. I'm looking forward the other classic jazz / R'n'B mixes as well as We Have Come for Your Children again.

Anonymous said...

... looking forward to hearing etc... Duh

Anonymous said...

... looking forward to hearing etc... Duh

lumpyboy said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.