Tuesday, November 14, 2023



I'm back!! It's been a good 10 years since I've not posted anything new on this blog.  During that time I travelled a lot around the world and bought lots of unusual tapes.   But I'm back living in New York and I have a lot of music and tapes to share.  

When I first started this blog in 2005 you could buy amazing tapes everywhere.   And they often had fantastic tracks that were only on tape.  Now its seems that any tape worth posting costs a fortune and they're hard to find.  And every track ever released is already on youtube.  Even tracks I posted that were only available here are now resposted by someone else on youtube.  But I still have a number of old rare tapes and some mixtapes where the beauty is the choice of music, not the individual tracks.  AND, I'm going to start remixing tracks myself and posting them on here.  So the blog will take a slightly new and hopefully more exciting direction which also features my own work.

I purchased this tape from @maitreselecto.  I first heard about him from old friend @daviddarg.  I got in touch and this was the only tape he had at the time.  He does very limited runs.  When I listened to it, I realized that all of the tracks were amazing, some soukous, some soca, some french arabic stuff - and none of it could be identified on Shazam.  I've posted 2 of my favorites and remixed one of them.  Please tag the names in the comments or message me if you know.  @Maitreselecto got in touch afterwards and told me that the Arab French track is a Magreb pop track by Mohamed Mazouni.

The remix process was a big learning process.  So I won't say this is the most amazing remix ever.  But I've learned so much in a short period of time.

You can also check out our new instagram page @dostapes.







1 comment:

Sunster said...

welcome back
:-)