Monday, January 11, 2010

Exsanguination Blues comedy record


This is a little odd treat from my dad.  It's a comedy record recorded by an actual medical doctor in the 50s and put out by Colonial Records, which had a lot of success with comedy records from that time (the most notable to me being from Andy Griffith).  This one is pretty obscure but I remember my dad playing it to me when I was a kid.  I think the singer Doug Harrell was an actual doctor and probably did this side project and then never recorded anything else.

My dad asked me to record it to mp3 for him when I was in California over Christmas.   The music has kind of a southern folky flavor to it, and it's kind of entertaining, but mostly it's about the story and the humor - the kind your dad would probably like.  Enjoy.

Exsanguination Blues - Doug Harrell


Hospitality Blues - Doug Harrell

6 comments:

Erazmus Lint said...

i have this record! haha. its a bit crackly but interesting.
nice blog page by the way, been a reader for quite a while now.

Anonymous said...

The links to yousend it are dead, is there anyway you could repost these songs please.

dalston shopper said...

Links have been updated.

Anonymous said...

THANK YOU soooooo much for reposting! My dad went to medical school in the 50's and remembered these songs and is so glad to hear them again. THANKS AGAIN!!!

furrball said...

Good gosh, I had this record back in the 70s (right down to the sleeve - only that was a blue paper one, not the red cardboard you pictured. Oh well...)! Between this and the NME Ace Case, you made my morning! Thanks!!

josie said...

BLESS YOU FOR POSTING THIS! I HAVE THE OLD 45 WITH IT ON IT, BUT MY PLAYER IS IN STORAGE. MY DAUGHTER JUST SUFFERED A BOUT WITH PNEUMONIA & SPENT 5 DAYS IN THE HOSPITAL, SO I WAS REALLY EXCITED ABOUT BEING ABLE TO PLAY IT FOR HER! :)
JOYCE WOOD